- Basecoat, then apply 1-2 coats white polish (I used 2 coats of Sinful Snow Mw White)
- Apply random splotches of neon in different colors (I used SinfulMelon, Fusion, Irish Green, and Summer Peach) to nails (I just “dotted” colors using applicator brush)
- Let dry completely; topcoat optional (i used one)
- When polish is completely dry, apply pieces of striping tape at random
- Apply one coat of black nail polish (I used Wet N Wild Black Creme) and while polish is still wet, peel off the pieces of tape carefully
- Let dry completely and apply topcoat.
diy nautical nails. details to come (gotta get to work!)
Day 14 of the 31 Day Challenge: Animal Prints
Okay, I hate animal prints. I’ve always thought they were lame and since I really didn’t want to do any of the animal prints, I decided to do all of them using all the super-bright colors that I wouldn’t normally wear (I’m an earth-tone, neutral, anti-neon type of chick). Why not, right?
I actually ended up really liking how it came out and wore it for a couple of days.
Click on the photo for the details on how I acheived this look and more pictures.
Day 13 of the 30 Day Manicure Challenge: Stripes.
Sorry for the lack of blogging this past couple of weeks. I started a new job and have been super busy. So tonight is “catch up” night (might not have had time to blog but I always find time to do my nailz).
I actually tried to be all creative with this challenge and do some crazy coral color and teal over taxi yellow free hand stripes but the colors were so awful once I actually saw them on my nails (they looked okay when I held their wheel swatches next to each other but ohmygod the clashing once I started striping) so I decided to do the simple stamped b&w stripes.
I’m excited to see all my new followers! Welcome and I hope you enjoy my experiments in my new hobby. We’re up to 95 followers! Five more and we can have our giveaway drawing so reblog reblog reblog or tell your friends to start following me already! ;D I’ve got the loot all packaged up and ready to send, I just need a winner!
From now on, I will post 1 pic of each mani on tumblr (i know i tend to ignore pic heavy posts on here) and post all the “how I acheived this look” info + more pics on my new blog (http://tinycanvases.blogspot.com). Clicking on the photo will take you straight to the related blog entry.
Day 12 of the 31 Day Mani Challenge: Polka Dots
Steps to get this look:
- Basic mani (file, buff, etc). 1 coat of Sinful “Basecoat” then 2 coats of China Glaze “Re-Minted” on every other nail and both middle fingers.
- 1-2 coats of Sally Hansen Insta-Dri “Mint Sprint” on the rest of the nails and half of both middle fingers (i did this the “easy” way by taping a line down the middle after the lighter color dried but before applying the darker one)
- Using a bobby pin that I straightened to use as a poor man’s dotting tool, I randomly dotted each nail with the same polishes reversed.
- Finished with 2 coats SV FDTC
Joy Ella’s Nail Art Blog Giveaway!!!! Celebrating 100 (future) followers!!!
Since I posted that I will be giving away some free nail art loot, my follower count jumped up to 60 so I figured I’d better post the details!!
- Eight fauxnad (konad dupes) nail stamping image plates including: m22, m27, m44, m56, m60, m63, m73, & m78 (links open detailed image of each plate in new window) Note that they have a blue plastic protective layer on top that must be peeled off before use (that is what looks scratched up in the pic above, the actual plates are not scratched!)
- A few of my favorite “stamping” polishes, all Brand New: Sally Hansen Insta-Dri “Whirlwind White”, WetNWild “Black Creme”, Pure Ice “Silver Mercedes”, & Revlon TopSpeed “Espresso”
- A brand new genuine Konad stamper & scraper set (not pictured)
- One Onyx Pro acetone corrector pen (I love these, easier than using brushes IMHO and when they dry up, just dip tip in NP remover to “reuse)
- China Glaze “Scarlet” and “Heaven” Nail Polishes (just for the heck of it)
- You must be following me (nailartbyjoyella.tumblr.com)
- You must LIKE this post (you can reblog it if you want but it won’t help/hurt your chances of winning)
- Most importantly, you must REBLOG one of my blog posts featuring an ORIGINAL manicure by Joy Ella (must have my watermark, my previous reblogged posts won’t count). Pick your favorite or least awful or at random…Just make sure the photo(s) are stamped with my watermark “nailartbyjoyella.tumblr.com”!
Details: The drawing will take place on the following midnight of the day this blog reaches 100 followers (i.e., reach 100 at 2pm 11/22, drawing will be that night at 12am 11/23). All who qualify before 11:59pm that day will be entered into the random drawing (using random.org) and the winner will be notified via the Ask button (so make sure your blog has it turned on!)
Since I have attracted 55 followers in one month, I figure 100 followers can’t be too far off, right? On that day, I will give away a bundle of nail art loot to one random follower. I haven’t put the prize together yet but I wanted to give my followers a heads up. The loot will include at least 5-6 nail stamping image plates (dupes from a set I got recently from which I had already ordered some of the plates individually) & a stamper/scraper set, 2-3 of my personal favorite “regular” nail polishes that are great for stamping, and my favorite nail art accessory - Onyx Pro acetone corrector pen (the walmart near my house used to keep 2 in stock, now they keep 7-8 on the shelf…all my fault). I’ll probably come up with some more stuff to toss in there by next week.
And whoever the lucky 100th follower may be will get a custom manicure painted by me to celebrate the (soon-to-be) grand opening of my hand-made manicure store on Etsy.
Rules to come with specifics on the loot next week. Have a safe and peaceful holiday!
KOTD - Kash Bar
I’m still putting off the next challenge of the 31 Day Mani Challenge. I’ve never done gradient nails before and I got a bunch of new polishes/image plates and organized my work desk, now dedicated completely to nail art, so I have had plenty of excuses to put it off! I’ll do it today. Promise! I want to do a white-to-black grayscale for the gradient challenge but we’ll see!
This konadicure from yesterday reminded me of curtains that might hang in a kasbah. That’s why I named it Kash Bar. Kinda lame, I know.
Base: 1 coat Sinful “Basecoat”, 2 coats L’Oreal “Vintage Red” (an oooold bottle…like, 7-8 yrs old), and 1 coat Seche Vite FDTC
Design: stamping image plate SH25 by Shany with China Glaze “Poetic”
Finish: 2 coats SV